Short Prose Competition
The Ukrainian Canadian Foundation of Taras Shevchenko is committed to encouraging and promoting new authors who write on a topic with a tangible connection to the Ukrainian Canadian experience. We look to receiving submissions that reflect: fresh perspectives, a diversity of experiences, and an ongoing evolution of our cultural experiences.
The Shevchenko Foundation’s Emerging Writers Short Prose Competition sets the groundwork for new writers to explore the short prose form and to one day aspire to submit an entry to the KOBZAR™ Book Award.
A $1,500 prize is awarded annually to a Canadian writer for the best piece of unpublished prose of up to 1,500 words in the English language on a topic with a tangible connection to the Ukrainian Canadian experience. The Shevchenko Foundation will also provide $1,000 paid to the author toward publication of the winning entry in a Canadian newspaper, magazine, or recognized digital distributor, promotion of the story, and their development as a writer.
Two writing industry professionals and one member of the Shevchenko Foundation Board of Directors will serve as the jury.
- This competition is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents who are not published as fiction writers in magazine, periodical, or book format.
- If resubmitting a story to this Competition, the writer will submit the original submission along with the new submission indicating a significant re-write.
- Maximum of two entries allowed per author.
- The author will declare that they are 16 years old at Competition deadline date.
- Only original and unpublished fiction or nonfiction in the English language is eligible.
- A completed and signed entry form. Download entry form here.
- Entries should be typed, double-spaced, in a clear twelve-point font, and the pages numbered on 8.5” x 11” pages, saved as a PDF.
- Please type the name of entrant and the title of entry on each numbered page. This is not a blind competition.
- Multiple entries are accepted.
- Submit entries and entry form to [email protected]
- Entries must be received electronically by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on December 7, 2020 to be eligible.
The Shevchenko Foundation thanks the Writers Union of Canada for inspiring our Competition.